The Medical Technology Group (MTG) is a coalition of patient groups, research charities and medical device manufacturers working to make medical technologies available to everyone who needs them. Uptake of medical technology in the UK is not as good as it should be, given its great potential to provide value for money to the NHS, patients and taxpayers. The MTG believes that patients and clinicians need better information about medical technologies so that they can make informed choices about their medical care.
The common purpose of the MTG is to increase patient access to the best, diagnostic, imaging, surgical and supported-living technologies on the NHS to improve patient outcomes and quality of life. We aim:
- To deliver more and better information for patients on what technologies are available and appropriate for them, to enable shared decision-making and genuine patient choice.
- To achieve appropriate early intervention with the right medical technology to maximise patient outcomes, and minimise medium to long term costs to the NHS, taxpayer and the wider society.
- To deliver enhanced training and guidance for clinicians on the range of medical technologies available and how to use them.
- To disseminate guidance and best practice to commissioners on the appropriate use of medical technologies for better patient outcomes and cost benefits.
- To further the inclusion of medical technologies within national policy instruments such as NICE Quality Standards.
- To involve patients in commissioning decisions and oversight.
- To establish top-down systems and policies that incentivise quality and cost effectiveness rather than short term cost reduction. (i.e. tariff reform, outcomes framework, cross-Government policy making, integrated budgets that realise net benefits, NICE/Value Based Pricing Reform).
Join us! The MTG is the only UK coalition of industry groups and patient charities working together to improve patient access to effective medical technologies. MTG members have the opportunity to help shape a public affairs and PR programme which engages decision makers and gets great media coverage. Find out more about membership....